Working together to hack the climate change challenges of the present and future
Nordic City Solutions will be hosting a 6-week digital hackathon in October-November for Nordic companies interested in learning about and working with American partners on real active development projects in the United States.
Participating Nordic companies will have the opportunity to:
• Work on projects looking for Nordic partners and solutions to real world, active urban development challenges
• Be partnered with US-based companies for B2B collaboration including Black, Minority and Women-owned businesses in the United States
• Create shared value solutions to some of America’s most critical climate change, energy and urban development problems
• Meet, understand context for and work with Project Owners who will give feedback on proposals throughout the 6-week program
• Build relationships and learn about additional tender opportunities in the US for bids
Nordic Companies can choose from four active development challenges that will run in parallel via our online collaboration platform as part of the Hackathon
Asle Ingmar Johnson from Norwegian company Aiwell describes his experience participating in a Nordic City Solutions event in Brampton, Canada in 2019:
How will the hackathon work?• Work will take place online via a Nordic City Solutions page on the Solved Platform (Solved.fi)
• Each Challenge Owner (developer) will present their challenge for Nordic-American team to collaborate on
• Weekly activities will take place on either Tuesday or Thursday: a short workshop on a key topic each week on Tuesday, followed up with a facilitated one hour online collaboration activity for each Challenge per week on Thursday (No activities CW45 due to US Election);
• Challenge Teams will be encouraged to work independently on the challenge and coordinate meetings on their own time outside of the workshops and Challenge meetings (estimated 1-4 hours / week depending on level of collaboration required)
• Challenge Teams will consist of partnerships between American and Nordic businesses for proposal solutions to Developers.
• The Challenge Owners (developers) will follow along and provide guided feedback to teams along the way
• After six week, Challenge Teams of Nordic-American partners will pitch their solutions to Challenge Owners for the opportunity to move forward with their solutions in a market-based procurement scenario.
What is the prize for the hackathon challenge?All projects are currently active projects in development. It is up to each team to pitch a successful solution with a solid business case to the developer. Successful teams will be offered the opportunity to move ahead with their solution in the development.
In some cases there will be more than one “winner” where the developer will proceed with multiple teams should the solutions prove worthy. It is up to teams to prove their solution in the real market.
What is the cost to participate?Nordic City Solutions is co-financed through a grant from Nordic Innovation which requires 50% co-financing. Companies paying to participate are helping cover the cost of Trade Promotion Organization time and support for organizing and facilitating the activities as well as the software licensing to run the platform activities online.
As a result of COVID-19 economic conditions, we have reduced the price of participation by 50%. Nordic Trade Promotion Agencies can add additional subsidies based on domestic economic incentive and support programs. Please contact your specific TPO for details (see contact details below).