Important: In mid September, the initiation of a process to secure a developer for several surplus provincially-owned land sites across the city was initiated.
About: Sept 13, 2017: This morning, Mayor John Tory was joined by Ontario’s Minister of Housing Peter Milczyn and other municipal and provincial representatives in Toronto’s West Don Lands, to announce the initiation of a process to secure a developer for several surplus provincially-owned land sites across the city. The development of the properties with mixed-income residential will include over 2,000 new rental housing units, with a minimum 20% of these units to be below market rents, while the remaining 80% of units will be at the low end of market rents.
The lots in question include two currently paved lots in the West Don Lands—including the site of today’s announcement at the southeast corner of Cherry and Mill Streets beside the TTC’s recently built Distillery Loop—as well as a through-block site at 27 Grosvenor and 26 Grenville streets, currently housing a parking garage and the low-rise former Provincial Coroner’s Office. Even before this morning’s announcement, the province had already begun the process of selecting potential developers for the sites, with Mayor Tory sharing that the public could “see some signs of activity on this [Cherry and Mill Street] site in a year or so.” According to Minister Milczyn, “as of tomorrow, these properties will be put on the market by CBRE Realty, a Request For Proposals (RFP) will be invited, and we expect the first round of proposals to come in about a month.””