- Hammarby Sjöstad is an international award winning sustainable urban development in Stockholm that transports all waste from residents underground in pipes.
- In Svartsengi, renewable methanol is produced from carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and electricity for energy storage, fuel applications, and efficiency enhancement.
- As a response to changes in rising sea levels, the City of Helsinki has formulated an innovative cross-departmental resilient Flood Strategy to respond efficiently and effectively to shocks and stresses caused by flooding in the urban area.
- Copenhagen's harbour baths are a result of an extensive cleaning initiative that has rid the water of industrial pollutants and sewage.
- The Greenest City in Europe is working hard to be the first fossil-fuel-free city in the world and has set a goal that by 2020, 50% of all new buildings should be wood-based.